I have tried to change the X, Y preferences on the project and object/environment orientation and I have compared settings from a simple 1st person player capsule set up and they are the same. The only fix I can think of trying is a complete rebuild using standard settings in a new project.
I tried installing a C# 1st person script on a camera and have set up several set cameras so that the project can be viewed in Unity. This is as far as I can get in this phase of development. I will rebuild the project, add animation and full interaction in the next stage of development.
Now I’m just going to work on finishing the set ready for this development.